Location Name The White Horse Inn
Location Description Historic inn and tavern originally built in 1727 by Marcus Huling, a Swedish Indian trader and interpreter. In 1765 the inn was enlarged to a 2+1⁄2-story, five-bay, sandstone building with a gable roof. A 2+1⁄2-story, three-bay, addition was constructed in 1780. The building operated as an inn and tavern until 1870, when it was converted to a three-family residence. The Inn was the first stop on the highway from Reading to Philadelphia and during the Revolutionary War, the tavern was a mustering place for the Continental levies, a recruiting station and a training ground for Washington's militia. George Washington stayed here twice and the French Duke of Rochefoucault de Liancourt also stayed at the Inn in 1795.
Current Use Available for tours. Owned by Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County.
Location Address 509 Old Philadelphia Pike
Location City Douglassville
Location Zip 19518
Location Attributes Mansion/Historic Home